Legal Nurse Consultants are now recognized as Associate Members of the Canadian Nurses Association ‐
Specialties Group due to efforts made by members of the LNCAC. The next step is full membership and
certification exam development.
LNCs are “behind the scenes” experts who have an in depth knowledge of the inner workings of the healthcare system. This knowledge allows LNCs to skillfully and quickly review/analyze case specific documents:
- Spotting issues otherwise overlooked.
- Preparing chronologies of medical events and correlating them to the allegations.
- Reviewing and analyzing health records for merit.
- Defining medical terminology, what is normal versus abnormal.
- Providing an informed opinion for the court based on whether the nursing standards of care were met or not met.
- Providing expert testimony to the court.